Saturday, May 14, 2011

Colorado Overlook Trail

The weather was cloudy with a chance of showers, and the blister on my heel was sore from yesterday's hiking. I decided to bike out to the Colorado Overlook; the 4wd road leaves from the Needles Visitor Center and goes seven miles out to, well, an overlook of the Colorado River. The first three miles is an easy 2wd high clearance road, the remainder gets considerably more technical; definitely 4WD high clearance and I wouldn't take my truck.

I was hurrying a little bit to make sure I could get out and back before it started raining. Out at the overlook, it was 50 degrees and windy, not very pleasant at all especially after the gorgeous weather the past few days. So I snapped a couple of obligatory pictures and headed back.


The squall that came through only rained long enough for me to put on raingear, it was over in less than five minutes and never rained hard. Oh well. I spent the rest of the day exploring all of the roads and nature trails in the Needles section (the cowboy camp at Cave Spring is very interesting). When all was said and done, I'd put 32 miles on the mountain bike and that was more than enough time in the saddle for one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment